This easy sweet potato casserole with pecans is one of our favorite side dishes. Instead of marshmallows, it’s topped with a pecan crumb mixture to give it a nutty crunch.
It is by no means low carb or keto, but using a pecan crumb topping instead of marshmallows (sacrilege for some, I’m sure!) makes it a somewhat more healthy sweet potato casserole.
Easy sweet potato casserole with pecans
A sweet potato casserole is the highlight of holiday meals for some. Personally, I don’t limit myself to eating it only during the holidays! It’s easy to pull together, and my family loves it.
Feel free to reduce the amount of sugar in this recipe if you prefer a less sweet casserole. You can omit the sugar entirely in the sweet potato mixture, and reduce it by half in the pecan crumb topping for a more healthy sweet potato casserole.
5 Easy Steps to Transform Your Pantry!
Ready to switch from store bought to homemade? Let me help you make some changes! Grab my FREE five-part guide to getting started.
Making the sweet potato casserole
Start by peeling and boiling the sweet potatoes until they’re soft enough to mash with a fork. Once cooked, drain the sweet potatoes and put them back in the cooking pot. (No sense making more dishes to wash!) Add the remaining ingredients for the bottom layer and beat until smooth. You can use a hand mixer for this, or a wooden spoon. Spread the sweet potato mixture in the casserole dish.
Combine the topping ingredients and spread over the sweet potatoes. Simple! For an extra pop of flavor, consider toasting the pecans before adding them to the topping mix.
Now, one thing to note. This easy sweet potato casserole with pecans serves 4-to-6 people, depending on their appetite. If you’re planning to contribute this casserole to a larger holiday buffet, you might want to double the recipe so there’s enough for everyone.
★ Did you make this sweet potato casserole? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below! ★
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes
- ½ cups granulated organic cane sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ cups organic brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2/3 cup unbleached organic all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups pecans, chopped
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into chunks. Put sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Boil until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mash with a fork, and add remaining ingredients for the potato layer. (Not the topping ingredients.) Beat until a smooth consistency is reached.
- Grease a large 9×13 pan or a couple of smaller casserole dishes.
- Pour sweet potato mixture into pan.
- Mix topping ingredients until thoroughly combined, and then spread on top of the cooked sweet potatoes. Bake for 25 to 28 minutes.
Makes 4-6 servings.
Feel free to reduce the amount of sugar in this recipe if you prefer a less sweet casserole. You can omit it entirely in the sweet potatoes, and reduce it by half in the topping for a more healthy sweet potato casserole.
This easy sweet potato casserole with pecans serves 4-to-6 people, depending on their appetite. If you're planning to contribute this casserole to a larger holiday buffet, you might want to double the recipe so there's enough for everyone.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 938Total Fat: 44gSaturated Fat: 17gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 152mgSodium: 350mgCarbohydrates: 131gFiber: 9gSugar: 80gProtein: 10g