You know when you make a special recipe that even wheat-eaters rave about, you’ve hit the jackpot. This gluten free banana bread was a winner ALL around!
This lemon blueberry loaf is delicious, too. (But not gluten free.)
The best gluten free banana bread recipe
Since we grow our own bananas here, it seems we always have a surplus. With company coming, my husband decided get his bake on and turn some overripe bananas into banana bread. Since some of the people who would be eating with us are gluten free, he opted to experiment with gluten free flours. What a winner — everyone raved. Someone might have even called it the best banana bread she’d ever had. That’s high praise.
So what’s the trick? LOTS of banana. This makes for a moist, dense bread full of banana flavor. The chocolate chips and nuts are optional. (My husband would disagree about the chocolate chips being optional…) You could add raisins instead of one or the other if you like.
If you’re like us, you might decide to make this recipe on the spot and forget to soften the butter. No problem with my husband’s hot tip: Grating the butter makes it easier to cream the sugar and butter together!
5 Easy Steps to Transform Your Pantry!
Ready to switch from store bought to homemade? Let me help you make some changes! Grab my FREE five-part guide to getting started.
This gluten free banana bread came out beautifully browned with crisp edges and a moist center, thanks to all those bananas. The recipe calls for brown sugar, which gives the bread a nice depth of flavor, but white sugar could work as well.
Check the bread for doneness after about an hour and 15 minutes; it may need an additional 15 minutes or so.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below! ★
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups very ripe banana, (cut into chunks to measure)
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil, (for pan)
- 1 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup chocolate chips, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly oil a 9" x 5" loaf pan.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- In a separate bowl (or the bowl of your mixer), cream butter and sugar together. Stir in eggs and banana until well blended, mashing bananas more as you stir.
- Mix banana mixture into the dry ingredients until just moistened. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1.5 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let bread cool in pan for at least 30 minutes. Turn out onto wire rack to cool further.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 521Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 6gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 249mgCarbohydrates: 72gFiber: 6gSugar: 42gProtein: 10g