Made with wholesome ingredients that just might have grown in your garden, this savory tartlet recipe features roasted red peppers, feta cheese, and fresh eggs.
Savory Tartlet Recipe with Feta and Roasted Red Peppers
This savory tartlet recipe is fancy enough for company! Even better? They can be made ahead and served at room temperature. These would be a perfect addition to a brunch menu or even to pack into a romantic picnic basket.
Ingredients for this savory tartlet recipe
When the hens are a-layin’ it’s time to start planning meals that will utilize lots of eggs. This little tartlet fits the bill, using five eggs for six tartlets.
You can use jarred roasted red peppers, but if you’re growing peppers there’s no reason you can’t make your own. Here’s how to roast red peppers at home.
[Hot tip: Make more roasted peppers than you’ll need and you’ll be ready to whip up a batch of this roasted red pepper hummus for snacking!]
Be sure to use Grandma’s pie crust recipe for a tender, flaky crust. Note that this recipe makes a double pie crust and will be enough for twelve tartlets. You can halve the pie crust recipe, divide it in two and freeze half, or double the remaining ingredients for these savory tartlets and make twelve instead of six.
Free Printable Recipe Cards!
Let me send you a collection of recipe cards to help you get started with a homemade pantry! You’ll also get my free weekly newsletter, complete with recipes, gardening tips, and a little peek at what’s going on around here — both the zany and the mundane.!
Feta cheese is readily available at most grocery stores, but if you’d like to try your hand at making your own, it’s not hard. Here’s a feta cheese recipe to try.
Making roasted red pepper and feta tartlets
The first step is to make the tartlet crusts. These are pre-baked, and then filled with the eggs and vegetables. This savory tartlet recipe uses a single pie crust, which is enough for the bottom of a single pie pan, like you’d use for making pumpkin pie.
To make the mini crusts, you’ll divide a single pie crust recipe into six equally-sized balls, roll out small circles of dough, and press into tart pans. You can use a muffin tin if you don’t have tart pans. You won’t have the pretty fluted edges, but they’ll taste just as great!
Trim excess dough at the top edge of the pans and bake.
Once the crusts are baking, you can start sautéing the veggies.
Assembling the savory tartlets
Divide the feta cheese between the pre-baked tart crusts, and then do the same with the sautéed veggies.
Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and bake.
You’ll find it’s easiest to place the tartlet crusts on a baking sheet. This will allow you to move them easily into the preheated oven without spilling.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Grease the inside of six mini tart pans.
- Divide the pie crust into six balls; roll each on a floured surface.
- Line the mini tart pans with the pie crust, poking a few holes in the bottom of each crust with a fork. This prevents air bubbles from popping up when pre-baking.
- Bake the mini tart pans in the oven for five minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Place a tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, and cook the chopped onion until soft and translucent.
- Add the roasted red peppers to the skillet; stir until heated through.
- Divide the feta cheese between the tart pans.
- Place a layer of the cooked vegetables over top of the feta cheese, dividing them equally.
- Whisk together the eggs and pepper in a bowl or measuring cup with a spout.
- Add thyme to the egg mixture; stir well.
- Pour the egg mixture into each of the six mini tart pans. Do not overfill.
- Reduce the oven setting to 325 degrees. Bake the savory tartlets for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Serve warm with fresh herbs as garnish or refrigerate and serve later at room temperature.
If you don't have mini tartlet pans, you can use muffin tins for this savory tartlet recipe. Regular size muffin tins or mini muffin tins both work.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 132Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 153mgSodium: 522mgCarbohydrates: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 7g