These chocolate cut out cookies are the perfect treat for special days. Whether you’re going all sweet on your Valentine or baking up a storm for a holiday cookie buffet, these are a winner. You can freeze the dough for these chocolate sugar cookies, too, for impromptu baking sessions.
Try my classic sugar cookie recipe, too!
Chocolate cut out cookies
Those ready-to-bake rolls of refrigerator cookies are easy, sure. But you can mix up a batch of cookie dough at home with the ingredients you prefer and it won’t take much more time. (Using a simple cookie cutter shape and an embossed rolling pin makes fancy cookies faster.)
I’m not saying these chocolate cut out cookies are healthy, but you can opt for better ingredients than the store-bought dough. I’m betting you’ll think they taste better, too.
Making these chocolate sugar cookies
Much like your standard sugar cookie dough, this chocolate version requires a bit of planning ahead. Once the dough is made, it needs to be refrigerated for an hour or so (overnight is fine, if that’s easier on your schedule).
Roll out the dough, emboss it if you like, and cut out your desired shape. Hearts are great for Valentine’s Day, of course, but why not a chocolate sugar cookie “gingerbread” person?
5 Easy Steps to Transform Your Pantry!
Ready to switch from store bought to homemade? Let me help you make some changes! Grab my FREE five-part guide to getting started.
These chocolate cut out cookies are pretty enough for gift giving. Need some ideas for packaging them?
Packaging and shipping your cut out cookies
This plain cookie tin can be dressed up with ribbon for a pretty gift. Plus, your recipient can use it as a storage container in their home.
- Line a loaf pan with Kraft paper and tie it up with baker’s twine.
- Opt for a round cookie cutter and stack them in wide mouth Mason jars.
- Transform simple brown bags into a pretty gift like this.
If you’re planning to ship these chocolate cut out cookies out to a loved one, the tips here will be useful. You want to be sure that they arrive in one delicious piece!
★ Did you make these chocolate cut out cookies? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below! ★
- Beat butter, sugar, egg and vanilla in a large bowl (or the bowl of your stand mixer) until blended.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir dry mixture into butter and sugar mixture, beating until well blended.
- Refrigerate dough for an hour or so. On lightly floured board or between two pieces of wax paper, roll a small portion of dough at a time to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Use a patterned rolling pin to emboss the dough, if desired.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut into your favorite cookie cutter shapes.
- Place cut out cookies on an ungreased baking sheet. I like to line mine with one of these. Cool slightly then remove to wire rack.
- Heat oven to 325°F. Bake for five to seven minutes. Test for doneness by gently touching the top of a cookie. If no indentation remains, they're done. Cool slightly. Remove from cookie sheet to wire racks.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 73Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 83mgCarbohydrates: 9gSugar: 6g