Bake this sweet cornbread recipe in a cast iron skillet for a moist and delicious old-fashioned cornbread with a crispy crust.
Serve it up with this easy homemade chili for a delicious meal.
While I think many of us will agree that a crispy crust on the cornbread is ideal, some people balk at the idea of a sweet cornbread. But you know, it’s such an indulgent comfort food for me! This skillet cornbread recipe has been in my recipe file for years upon years and it never fails to make us happy. It makes a cake-y sweet cornbread that is delicious right out of the pan or with butter honey for breakfast.
Sweet Skillet Cornbread
This recipe starts with real food ingredients, of course. Start by creaming the sugar and butter together. It’s easiest to do this in a mixer, but a good old wooden spoon works, too. It will just take a bit more work on your part. Once creamed, add the milk and eggs. Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then stir into the wet ingredients.
Stir the batter just until the ingredients are combined.
Free Printable Recipe Cards!
Let me send you a collection of recipe cards to help you get started with a homemade pantry! You’ll also get my free weekly newsletter, complete with recipes, gardening tips, and a little peek at what’s going on around here — both the zany and the mundane.!
To get the crispy edges on this made-from-scratch cornbread, heat the cast iron skillet in the oven. Pouring the batter into an already-hot pan is the trick. Bake until the top of the cornbread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cut the cornbread into wedges and serve with butter and sweet honey, if you like. This sweet cornbread makes an excellent side dish for chili and for soups or stews. It’s also good with fried eggs — it’s perfect for sopping up the soft yolk of an over-medium egg.
★ Did you make this sweet cornbread recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below! ★
- 2/3 cup butter + 1 tablespoon
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-2/3 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cup cornmeal
- 4-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Put 12” cast iron skillet in the oven while it preheats.
- Cream 2/3 cup butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl. Stir in milk and eggs.
- Combine dry ingredients; stir into wet ingredients until just combined.
- Remove hot cast iron pan from oven and drop 1 tablespoon of butter into the pan and rub it around to coat the bottom and sides of skillet.
- Pour batter into greased skillet and return it to the hot oven. Cook for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm with butter and/or honey.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 378Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 11gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 310mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 6g