This easy lentil soup recipe with sausage is hearty and comes together quickly using ingredients that you likely already have on hand.
Crowd pleasing easy lentil soup
My mom often cooks for large crowds, so when she says “people loved it” she means more than just her immediate family. In other words, LOTS of people loved it.
This post may contain affiliate links; I'll earn a small commission if you choose to make a purchase.
She shared this sausage lentil soup recipe with me years ago, and it’s definitely been a hit at our table.
Comment from Facebook: Thank you SO much for posting this! I made it for dinner tonight and the whole family LOVES it!!!!!!!
Lentils cook much more quickly than dry beans, so this has become kind of a staple for us on nights when I need to cobble something together from the pantry.
If you’re vegetarian, simply skip the sausage and use vegetable stock. [Or check out this vegan lentil stew recipe.]
Serve it up with a fresh green salad and some crusty French bread for a complete meal.
Sausage Lentil Soup Recipe
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 cups lentils
- 12 cups beef, chicken, or vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 6 stalks celery, chopped
- 24 oz. diced tomatoes (3 pint jars)
- 1 cup red wine (optional, but it really does add depth)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 4 T. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 T. organic brown sugar
- sea salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Chopped green onions for garnish
- Brown sausage in large soup for about ten minutes, breaking up meat as it cooks.
- Stir in onion and garlic; cook for ten minutes more.
- Add lentils, stock, bay leaves, carrots, celery, and tomatoes (with juices). Bring soup to a boil, then simmer for an hour.
- Remove bay leaf and stir in remaining ingredients except green onions. Simmer for 30 more minutes. Serve with green onions as optional garnish.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!