Stop! Don’t send that glass jar to the recycle bin quite yet. Instead, doll it up, pop in a tea light, and add a bit of shine to your home. Use these DIY candle holders to brighten the household. These are great for holiday decor and gifts, too. Or make eight short jars with one taller one to use the set as a menorah. This dotting technique is super forgiving and very easy for kids to do.
DIY Candle Holders
- Recycled glass jars
- Several colors of 3-D paint (like this)
- White paper
This post may contain affiliate links; I'll earn a small commission if you choose to make a purchase.
- Soak jars in warm soapy water to remove labels; dry.
- Slip a rolled up piece of white paper inside the jar. This will make it easier to see what you’re working on.
- Add a simple shape – such as a flower, circle, or star – with one color using dots of paint. Repeat the shape in several places on the jar. Another easy way to start is with a line around or across the jar.
- Outline the shapes in a different color with more dots. Continue adding dots, either outlining the original shape or creating new patterns until the entire jar is covered. You may need to take a break to allow the paint to dry as you move around the jar.
- Once complete, put a votive candle or tea light in each jar.
Tip: By sticking with just three or four colors, your DIY candle holders will look great together no matter how many family members contribute their original designs.