Oftentimes, the hallmark of a special meal is the basket of fluffy dinner rolls passed from hand to hand. Thankfully, these guys are actually easier to make than they sound.
This recipe, in particular, is one to keep in your back pocket for potlucks or festive occasions alike. A very little kneading gives them incredible tenderness while a bit of melted coconut oil makes them rich.
They are also egg- and dairy-free in case you are looking for a vegan bread recipe, or for when your hens aren’t laying or your herd dries up.
These fluffy dinner rolls are delicious enough to be a treat but easy enough for everyday.
As with most bread recipes, the active time for making the dough is much less than the rising time. You’ll just need to plan ahead a bit.
Fresh out of the oven, these fluffy dinner rolls will make any dinner look good, but there’s nothing like fresh rolls to perk up boring leftovers!
★ Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
Dairy-free and egg-free dinner rolls that are light and delicious. May be naturally sweetened as well.
- Combine the sugar, 1/4 cup of the warm water, and active dry yeast in a medium mixing bowl. Stir to combine and leave to proof for 5-10 minutes or until bubbles begin to form.
- Stir in the coconut oil, bread flour, and salt and mix until the flour is hydrated. Gently oil your hands and knead the dough in the bowl for 3-5 minutes or until a soft but still slightly shaggy dough forms, reapplying oil as needed to keep dough from sticking.
- Cover bowl with a plate, lid, or plastic wrap and leave to rise for 1-2 hours or until doubled in bulk. Punch down the dough and divide it into three equal pieces. Divide each piece of dough into fifths, forming fifteen total pieces of dough.
- Generously grease a glass 9x13" pan. Shape each piece of dough into a ball by folding and stretching the dough over itself until a smooth surface forms. Place roll into greased pan and repeat with remaining pieces of dough.
- Cover pan a lid or greased plastic wrap and set aside to rise until doubled, approximately 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 375.
- Once oven is hot, bake the rolls for 20-25 minutes or until golden on top. Allow to cool for five minutes in pan before removing. Serve warm with butter or homemade jam.