With the bright sunshiny flavor of orange juice and a little bit of chocolate, these orange muffins are a great way to start the day!
(So are these pumpkin banana muffins!)
Making this easy orange muffin recipe
Muffins are a quick bread, which means it’s leavened with baking powder and baking soda. There’s no waiting around for the dough to rise. You just mix up the batter and bake it. It will take you 30-45 minutes start to finish for homemade muffins. No box needed for a warm, fresh out of the oven muffin. Now that’s winning breakfast!
As with most muffins, the key to success is to not over mix! For this orange muffin recipe, you’ll combine the dry ingredients in one bowl, and the wet ingredients in another. This assures that the ingredients are really well-combined in their respective bowls. Then mix the wet and dry ingredients together just until they’re combined.
You can use paper cupcake liners or simply oil the muffin cups. I find that using the cupcake liners is a good idea for packing them in a lunch — they’re less likely to stick to everything — but they’re totally optional. Cupcake liners are compostable!
This recipe calls for all-purpose flour, but you can substitute up to half of that with whole wheat or spelt flour for a grainier muffin. If you do use all-purpose flour, opt for unbleached flour to avoid icky bleaching agents like chlorine gas or benzoyl peroxide.
Free Printable Recipe Cards!
Let me send you a collection of recipe cards to help you get started with a homemade pantry! You’ll also get my free weekly newsletter, complete with recipes, gardening tips, and a little peek at what’s going on around here — both the zany and the mundane.!
Topping the muffins
To drizzle these homemade orange muffins with chocolate, as you see here, melt chocolate chips (dark or milk, your choice!) over low heat. You could also make an easy orange glaze by combining 1/2 cup of powdered sugar with a teaspoon and a half of orange juice. In either case, dip a fork into the topping and move it slowly back and forth over several muffins at a time to create stripes of glaze.
★ Did you make these orange muffins? Don’t forget to give them a star rating below! ★
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour, unbleached
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, (1 stick ) melted and cooled
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 2 oranges, zest and juice
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together orange juice, zest, eggs, butter, and yogurt. Pour into dry ingredients
- Stir together wet and dry ingredients until just combined.
- Divide the batter into 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow to rest in muffin tin for 5 minutes before moving to cooking rack.
- Melt chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl, for 20 seconds, stirring well and repeatedly heating at 10-second increments until smooth. Do not overheat. If chocolate is too thick, add ½ teaspoon coconut oil or vegetable shortening.
- Drizzle chocolate over muffins.
You could also make an easy orange glaze by combining 1/2 cup of powdered sugar with a teaspoon and a half of orange juice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g