Love pumpkin cheesecake muffins? Try this better-than-Starbucks pumpkin muffin recipe! Autumn is the time to indulge in pumpkin flavored everything, right? If you’re a fan of these seasonal favorites that Starbucks serves up in the fall, this knock-off recipe is going to make you happy.
Pumpkin Cheesecake Muffins
I wouldn’t go so far as to say these are healthy, but the ingredients list doesn’t include some of the questionable ingredients that the Starbucks pumpkin muffin recipe does, and it will cost a lot less to make these pumpkin cheesecake muffins at home.
Starbucks pumpkin muffin — with wholesome ingredients
While you can use canned pumpkin for these muffins, it’s easy enough to make pumpkin puree at home. And here’s a little secret: You can use a variety of pumpkins or even winter squash. Use what’s readily available to you or tucked away in the root cellar!
Conventional sugar is often made with genetically modified sugar beets. If this is something you’d like to avoid, opt for organic or pure cane sugar. (Cane sugar is not genetically modified.)
Making pumpkin muffins
The cream cheese filling mixture is made first, then set aside.
5 Easy Steps to Transform Your Pantry!
Ready to switch from store bought to homemade? Let me help you make some changes! Grab my FREE five-part guide to getting started.
If you’re using a stand mixer, there’s no need to wash the bowl in between the two stages. Simply use a spatula to transfer the filling to another bowl, then proceed to mix the remaining ingredients. Nobody will know, and you’ll have fewer dishes to wash.
Related: Chocolate-chocolate chip muffins
Portion the batter for these copycat Starbucks pumpkin muffins into muffin tins, filling each just halfway. This allows space for the addition of the cream cheese topping. Sprinkle with hulled green pumpkin seeds for a garnish if you like, before popping them into the oven to bake.
★ Did you make this pumpkin cream cheese muffins? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
For cream cheese topping:
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup granulated organic cane sugar
- 2 cups unbleached organic all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 stick butter, softened
- ¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup green pumpkin seeds, optional; for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Thoroughly butter muffin tins for 24 muffins.
Make the topping
- Beat cream cheese and sugar together in a bowl by hand or with your stand mixer until fully combined. (About a minute in a mixer.) Set aside.
Make the pumpkin batter.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices in a mixing bowl.
- Beat pumpkin, eggs, sugar, butter, and vanilla by hand or in the bowl of your mixer until fully combined.
- Alternately add buttermilk and dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture just until all ingredients are combined. (Some small lumps are okay.)
- Divide batter into muffin cups, filling each cup just over ½ way. Use a spoon to top each muffin with about one tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture. Push cream cheese into the batter slightly. Sprinkle muffins with pumpkin seeds and place in oven.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. A toothpick inserted in muffin (not cream cheese center) should come out clean.
- Remove pumpkin muffins from tins and cool on a rack for 10 – 15 minutes.
If you're using a stand mixer, there's no need to wash the bowl in between the two stages. Simply use a spatula to transfer the filling to another bowl, then proceed to mix the remaining ingredients. Nobody will know, and you'll have fewer dishes to wash.
*Note: Conventional sugar is often made with genetically modified sugar beets. Opt for organic or pure cane sugar to avoid this.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 253mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 5g