Assemble the simple ingredients for these easy Crockpot chicken tacos in the morning so they can cook on low all day. All you’ll need to do is shred some cheese and warm up the tortillas, making this a perfect weeknight dinner. Serve these shredded chicken tacos in flour or corn tortillas alongside our favorite refried beans.
Easy Crockpot chicken tacos
These slow cooker tacos took me less than ten minutes to get cooking. It’s as simple as combining the ingredients (except for the tortillas and fresh cilantro) in the bowl of your slow cooker, setting the temperature, and walking away.
This recipe calls for boneless chicken breasts. If you (like me) tend to cook with whole chicken rather than more expensive boneless parts, you can cook the chicken first, strip the meat from the bones, and use pre-cooked chicken rather than starting with boneless breasts. That does make this a two-step meal, of course.
Using cooked chicken in these slow cooker tacos
To make these slow cooker tacos with chicken that’s already cooked (say, roasted chicken leftovers), use 2-3 cups cooked chicken in place of the chicken breasts. If you you opt to start with cooked chicken, you can halve the cooking time for this recipe.
Serving it up
You can fill your favorite tortillas with this tender chicken, or it can be served tostada style. Or roll it up into burritos. Serve these shredded chicken tacos with a side of Spanish rice or refried beans and top with this delicious homemade creme fraiche.
5 Easy Steps to Transform Your Pantry!
Ready to switch from store bought to homemade? Let me help you make some changes! Grab my FREE five-part guide to getting started.
★ Did you make these shredded chicken tacos? Don’t forget to give them a star rating below!★
- 1 ¼ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, (preferably organic)
- 15 ounces low-sodium black beans, drained
- 14 ounces frozen corn, (preferably organic, straight from freezer)
- 16 ounces mild salsa, (preferably organic or homemade)
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- Whole wheat or organic corn tortillas, (optional)
- Add all the ingredients except the cilantro and tortillas to the slow cooker. (No need to cut the chicken.) Mix the ingredients well.
- Cook on low for approximately 8 hours, undisturbed. The meal is ready when the chicken is fork tender. Shred all of the chicken using two forks. Add the cilantro and mix well.
Soft Chicken Tacos
- Place the chicken mixture in an organic corn or whole wheat tortilla. Top with grated cheese and sour cream. Roll the tortilla up to create a soft taco or burrito.
- Place the chicken mixture in a bowl over cooked rice. Top with grated cheese and sour cream. Serve your toddler the burrito bowl with a spoon.
- Instead of tacos or burritos, another way to enjoy this chicken filling is on a tostada. I place organic corn tortillas flat on a cookie sheet and bake in a 325 oven for about half an hour or until crispy. If you'd like, you can fry them. (I don't buy the pre-made tostadas since I've yet to see any that are organic or non-GMO.) Spread chicken filling on the tostada and top with sour cream and avocado.
To make these slow cooker tacos with chicken that's already cooked use 2-3 cups cooked chicken in place of the chicken breasts and halve the cooking time for this recipe.
For extra spice, top your tacos with some finely chopped jalapeños.
This recipe is used with permission from the What a Good Eater! cookbook by Amy Godiwalla and Alessandra Macaluso
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1582Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 4gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 362mgSodium: 7441mgCarbohydrates: 198gFiber: 50gSugar: 18gProtein: 167g
Originally published in December 2016, this post has been updated.