These savory muffins feature surprising ingredients that make them a good choice for breakfast or dinner. When you need a breakfast meal that’s easy to grab and go, muffins are a good bet. But some people dislike sweets in the morning. These savory kale muffins give you the ease of muffins without the sweetness. And for dinner? Serve them alongside a hearty bowl of soup or chili and you’ve got a complete meal.
Growing leafy greens like kale is fairly simple, doesn’t take too much space to fill all of your leafy green needs, and is a simple way to buy less and save on food packaging. It can also give you more of those nutritious powerhouse leaves than you know what to do with. Once you’ve exhausted the stir-fries and soups and salads and chips, it’s time to think outside of the box.
Savory muffins with kale and chives
For a spring meal, a simple soup, fresh salad, and savory muffins filled with garden kale and chives is just the ticket. With basic pantry ingredients like flour, baking powder (you can use homemade!), and your favorite plant-based milk, this vegan recipe comes together in a jiffy (with no boxed mix needed).
For whole wheat savory muffins, use whole wheat flour in place of all purpose. And of course, any seasonal leafy green works in place of the kale.
5 Easy Steps to Transform Your Pantry!
Ready to switch from store bought to homemade? Let me help you make some changes! Grab my FREE five-part guide to getting started.
These savory muffins are dairy-free and vegan. If you are not averse to dairy, consider stirring in 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese for extra flavor and protein. Bake these savory muffins in a regular muffin tin (this one has a nonstick ceramic surface). Or use a mini-muffin tin for fun-sized muffins.
★ Did you make this savory muffin recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below! ★
- 2 cups unbleached organic all-purpose flour
- 2.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each mustard and garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, ground
- 1 1/4 cups plant-based milk
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon ground flax
- 1 cup packed finely chopped kale
- 1/4 cup minced chives
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and seasonings.
- In a separate, smaller bowl, combine the milk, olive oil, and ground flax. Let the flax sit with the wet ingredients for several minutes while you finely chop the kale and mince the chives.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until nearly combined.
- Stir in the kale and chives and combine all ingredients just until a homogenous stiff batter forms.
- Spoon the batter into the greased twelve muffin cups and place the muffin tin into the preheated oven.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes or until golden brown on top and cooked through. Allow to cool before serving.
These savory muffins could be made with whole wheat flour in place of all purpose and any seasonal leafy green in place of the kale.
If you are not averse to dairy, consider stirring in 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese for extra flavor and protein.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 127Total Fat: 5gUnsaturated Fat: 0gSodium: 231mgCarbohydrates: 17gProtein: 2g