Made from fresh ingredients, this green onion dip recipe is a healthier stand-in than store-bought flavor packets. Add it to your next Superbowl party or holiday appetizer buffet.
We all have favorite indulgent food that comes out at certain times of the year. For me? It’s green onion dip. It was on the snack table at every holiday party when I was growing up. The “special” green onion dip recipe we used? Let’s just say it started with a packet that had a long, unpronounceable ingredient list.
This post may contain affiliate links; I'll earn a small commission if you choose to make a purchase.
This green onion dip recipe starts with sour cream, but instead of the little packet, the flavoring comes from fresh green onions and spices.
(You can make your own sour cream, too, if you have access to fresh milk!)
This is easy to mix up, and honestly, the ingredients are something I generally have on hand. Making green onion dip from scratch is another one of those easy conversions from store bought to homemade.
- French Onion Dip: Mix Up Your Own!
- Cucumber Picante Sauce for Fresh Flavor
- Pineapple Salsa: A Perfect Summertime Snack
- Homemade Tzatziki Sauce for a Light, Flavorful Snack
Making green onion dip at home
Does this taste exactly like the little green packet? I’m not gonna lie – it doesn’t. But it’s good. Good enough that my son commented on it being a really good dip — before he knew the backstory.
Serve this green onion dip recipe with fresh veggies or homemade potato chips.
★ Did you make this green onion dip recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below! ★
Green Onion Dip Recipe
- Finely slice green onions.
- Mix dry ingredients together and sliced green onions together.
- Stir spices into the sour cream; mix well.
- Let dip sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour so the flavors can come together. Serve with your favorite chips or homemade sweet potato chips.