Oh, strawberry season! There’s so much to love, but this strawberry compote is at the top of the list. Two ingredients and less than half an hour is all it takes to make a sweet and garden fresh topping for ice cream or toast or to spread inside a peanut butter sandwich.
If you’ve got an abundance of berries, be sure to make some of these healthy dried strawberries.
Making strawberry compote
But wait, what IS compote? Basically, it’s whole or roughly chopped fresh fruit cooked in a syrup. Compote is served fresh, whereas a chunky jam is usually processed in jars to be a shelf-stable product.
This strawberry compote recipe is simple and has only two ingredients. That’s not to say you couldn’t get creative!
Spice it up:
- Toss in a thumb of fresh ginger to make a gingery strawberry compote.
- Stir some fresh mint leaves into the cooked compote.
- Once cooled, add a splash of tequila for a strawberry margarita compote.
- Stir a little bit of balsamic vinegar and black pepper into the cooled compote.
5 Easy Steps to Transform Your Pantry!
Ready to switch from store bought to homemade? Let me help you make some changes! Grab my FREE five-part guide to getting started.
Easy Instant Pot
If you’ve used an Instant Pot electric pressure cooker, you know just how quickly a soft fruit such as strawberries will cook down. It’s a “set it and forget it” kind of a recipe. (Mmm, and just imagine the lovely fragrance when you release the steam vent!)
No Instant Pot? No problem. While an Instant Pot makes quick work of this strawberry compote recipe, you can make it on the stove top, too.
Strawberry compote on the stove top
To make a stove top version of this strawberry compote, simply combine the ingredients in a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the strawberries are quite soft. This will take about 20-to-30 minutes.
As you cook the strawberries, use the back of a wooden spoon to mash them a bit, until you’re happy with the texture. If you prefer a texture that’s more like strawberry jam, you can use an immersion blender or a standing blender to process the fruit to a finer consistency.
5 Ways to use strawberry compote
- Spread it on toast
- Top pancakes or waffles
- Use it in these peanut butter and jelly muffins
- Make a peanut butter and strawberry compote sandwich
- Add a dollop to vanilla ice cream
★ Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, washed, dried, and diced
- 1/3 cup honey
- Combine strawberries and honey in Instant Pot.
- Set instant pot for 3 minutes on manual with steam release closed.
- Once done, steam release to open and allow to vent.
- Mash strawberries with a fork for a chunky compote. For a smoother texture, use an immersion or upright blender to process further.
- Serve warm over ice cream or pour strawberry compote into jars. Allow to cool before covering with lid. Refrigerate and enjoy within 5-7 days.
Makes: 2 cups
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 60Unsaturated Fat: 0gSodium: 1mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 14g