No matter what the food corporations want you to believe (It’s hard! You don’t have time for cooking!) you can cook from scratch. The food will taste better, you’ll eliminate some questionable ingredients, and there’s much less waste with these homemade recipes.
My earlier post entitled 10 Supermarket Products You Can Make at Home really resonated with people. Some were indignant about the “food” we find in the stores. Others were happy to find dinner ideas and DIY recipes to make some of the products they usually depend on from the grocery store.
This post may contain affiliate links; I'll earn a small commission if you choose to make a purchase.
As we traverse the supermarket we’re bombarded with “easy!” “fast!” and the purely ridiculous.
Reader Favorites from Attainable Sustainable
That speed comes with disposable plastic packaging and — very likely — some unpronounceable ingredients.
But good news: Cooking at home is not hard. If it’s new to you, it might seem daunting, but it’s not hard.
Homemade recipes for pasta and grains
Pasta has always been one of my go-to meals for hurry-up nights, and yet someone decided that people might want to make it even faster.
Recipes to replace boxed pasta:
- Farfalle Pasta with Roasted Butternut Squash [The Organic Kitchen]
- Gluten Free Baked Macaroni and Cheese [Simple Clean Living]
- Creamy Tomato Pasta [Scratch Mommy]
- Quinoa Pasta with Tangy Peanut Sauce [One Beet]
- Homemade Ravioli [Ever Growing Farm]
- Spaghetti with Collard Greens [Conveying Awareness]
- Quinoa Pasta with Butternut Squash and Mountain Sage [One Beet]
- Linguine with Sweet Bell Peppers and Serrano Chili [The Organic Kitchen]
- 20-Minute Chicken Pasta [Conveying Awareness]
- Dad’s Cheeseburger Helper [Kitchen Stewardship]
- Macaroni and Cheese [Live Simply]
Potatoes—normally a very inexpensive, basic ingredient—have been dried, doctored, and packaged up in convenient boxes that cost more than the original by far.
Homemade recipes to replace instant potatoes:
- Three Cheese Au Gratin Potatoes [The Organic Kitchen]
- Gluten & Grain-Free Scalloped Potatoes [Food Your Body Will Thank You For]
- Au Gratin Potatoes with Ham [Simple Clean Living]
- Twice Baked Potatoes with Kale [Economies of Kale]
Dinner ideas: Rice
If you’re ready to skip the expensive boxes of flavored rice, these recipes are a good starting place.
Homemade recipes to replace ready-made rice dishes:
- Instant Pot Spanish Rice [Attainable Sustainable]
- Homemade Chicken Rice-a-Roni [Kitchen Stewardship]
- A Way with Rice [Lil’ Suburban Homestead]
- Black Wild Rice [jarOhoney]
- Coconut Rice and Veggie Stir Fry [Raia’s Recipes]
- Tuna Bake with Rice [Homemade Healthy Happy]
Those tubes and tubs of cookie dough can be enticing, especially when we’re craving something sweet.
Blend up some basic ingredients and you’ll have homemade cookies in less than an hour. And in many cases, you can freeze the dough for your own “instant” dessert.
Homemade recipes to replace tubes or tubs of cookie dough:
- Chocolate-Dipped Sugar Cookies [Attainable Sustainable]
- Easy Ginger Cookies [Attainable Sustainable]
- Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies [Live Simply]
- Persimmon Cookies [Attainable Sustainable]
- Banana Bread Cookies [Family Gone Healthy]
- Chocolate Cut-Out Cookies [Attainable Sustainable]
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Cookies [The Homesteading Hippy]
- Carrot Zucchini Raisin Cookies [Family Gone Healthy]
- Cinnamon Almond Butter Cookies [A Harmony Healing]
- Swedish Almond Cookies [The Homesteading Hippy]
- Sprouted Wheat Welsh Cookies [Learning and Yearning]
- Chocolate Oatmeal Pecan Cookies [The Organic Kitchen]
- Ice Cream Cookies [Scratch Mommy]
- Oatmeal Cookies [The Homesteading Hippy]
- Chocolate Sandwich Cookies with Creme Filling [Gourmande in the Kitchen]
- Sprouted Peanut Butter Cookies [Live Simply]
Avoiding wheat? Try these homemade gluten free cookies!
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies [Attainable Sustainable]
- Gluten Free Ginger Cookies [The Earthy Mama]
- Gluten Free Peanut Butter Cookies [Food Your Body Will Thank You For]
- Matcha Green Tea Cookies [The Urban Eco Life]
- Gluten Free Nutter Butter Cookies [Health Starts in the Kitchen]
- 20-Minute Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies [Red and Honey]
- Chocolate Mint Cookies [Good Girl Gone Green]
- No-Bake Chocolate Coconut Macaroons [Red and Honey]
- Gluten Free Tahini Cookies [Fresh Bites Daily]
- Teff Peanut Butter Cookies [Fresh Bites Daily]
- The Ultimate Breakfast Cookie [Raising Generation Nourished]
Just as you’d imagine, these loaves are quick to make. Unlike yeast breads, they don’t require any rising time.
Homemade recipes to replace boxed sweet breads:
- Liliko‘i Bread [Attainable Sustainable]
- Banana Pecan Bread [Red and Honey]
- Sprouted Zucchini Bread [Simple Clean Living]
- Dutch Oven Zucchini Bread [Learning and Yearning]
- Parsnip and Carrot Cake [Conveying Awareness]
- Pumpkin Nut Bread [Scratch Mommy]
- Grain Free Banana Bread [The Earthy Mama]
Muffins are a great grab-and-go breakfast or snack, and they’re easy to make at home without the pre-made mix. It won’t take a lot longer to bake a batch from scratch.
Homemade recipes to replace muffin mix:
- Vegan Sweet Potato Muffins [Attainable Sustainable]
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Muffins [Attainable Sustainable]
- Blueberry Muffins [Live Simply]
- Chocolate Chip Spelt Muffins [Family Gone Healthy]
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins [Attainable Sustainable]
- Soaked Oatmeal Cookie Muffins [Scratch Mommy]
- Banana Muffins [jarOhoney]
- Solar Oven Blueberry Banana Muffins [Homestead Honey]
- Gluten Free Banana Nut Oat Muffins [Green Talk]
- Blueberry Muffins with Cacao Nibs [The Urban Eco Life]
- Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins [Real Food Real Fitness]
- Cranberry Pumpkin Muffins [Ever Growing Farm]
- Chocolate Banana Muffins [Live Simply]
- Healthy Banana Muffins [Real Food Carolyn]
- Corn Bread Muffins [jarOhoney]
- ABC Breakfast Muffins [Raia’s Recipes]
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Muffins [Kitchen Stewardship]
Frosting and Icing
What’s a cake (or cupcake) without frosting? Sad, that’s what.
Lucky you, frosting is easy to make at home with just a few ingredients. These recipes are still indulgent, but a smidge healthier than store-bought.
Homemade recipes to replace ready-made frosting:
- Cream Cheese Frosting [Raia’s Recipes]
- Pecan Frosting [Paleo Gone Sassy]
- Angel Feather Icing [Red and Honey]
- Vanilla Frosting [Paleo Gone Sassy]
- Raw Chocolate Coconut Butter [Homemade Healthy Happy]
If you imbibe in mixed drinks, you can make them at home, easy peasy.
Homemade recipes to replace pre-mixed drinks:
In the liquor section, we find ready-to-roll drinks. Just twist, and slam shots with names like buttery nipple and whipped cherry, then toss the disposable hard plastic shot glass in the trash.
These alternatives are equally fun, but made with fresh ingredients and less waste.
- Kombucha Kocktail [Homemade Healthy Happy]
- Blueberry Sweet Tea [jarOhoney]
- Fizzing Strawberry Lemonade Cubes [jarOhoney]
- The World’s Most Perfect Hot Toddy [Ever Growing Farm]
- Spiced Brandy Cider [jarOhoney]
- Fruity Rosemary Spritzer [Fresh Bites Daily]
- Sweet Hibiscus Iced Tea [Hollywood Homestead]
- Homemade Irish Cream [Kitchen Stewardship]
- Cactus Cooler [Fresh Bites Daily]
People. It’s bacon. You don’t need a recipe. You just need one of these.
Want to learn to make more of your own pantry staples?
- 50+ recipes from some of the web’s top real food bloggers.
- 100 pages featuring gorgeous photos and simple instructions.
- Replace your favorite supermarket “cheats” with simple homemade alternatives.
- Discover just how easy it is to make your own.
- Save money and eliminate wasteful packaging.