In case you’ve yet to delve into fermenting, here’s a collection of fermented foods recipes and tips to get you started. You’ll be so glad you did!
For more ways to preserve your garden produce, check out my collection of recipes for food preservation.
We’re hooked on fermented foods.
And we’ve expanded our repertoire: No longer limited to fermenting vegetables, we’ve tried our hands at fermenting fruit, sauces, and seeds, too! The beneficial bacteria in fermented foods is easy to encourage in a wide variety of foods.
- Naturally fermented foods recipes are host to the original probiotic and promote a healthy digestive system.
- It’s a great way to preserve your garden goodness.
- Fermented foods are delicious.
- Getting started is easy. (Matt was right.)
Getting started with fermented foods:
- What are Fermented Foods, Anyway? [Schneiderpeeps]
- Pickling vs. Fermenting [Fermentools]
- How to Make a Basic Brine [Modern Hippie Housewife]
- Finding a Live Culture [Joybilee Farm]
- Fermenting in Hot Weather [Fermentools]
- Can I Use No Salt? Or Less Salt? [Traditional Cooking School]
- What Foods Can I Ferment? [Fermentools]
- The Benefits of Fermenting Food [The Homestead Garden]
- Long-Term Storage and Care of Ferments [Homestead Honey]
50+ Fermented foods — recipes you should try
The toughest part of fermenting? Taking the first step to try something different. Once you clear that (mental) hurdle, it’s easy. These recipes for fermented foods bring together garden fresh veggies and probiotics for your digestive system.
Vegetables are probably the most well-known of the fermented food recipes. Everybody knows about sauerkraut, right?
Free Printable Recipe Cards!
Let me send you a collection of recipe cards to help you get started with a homemade pantry! You’ll also get my free weekly newsletter, complete with recipes, gardening tips, and a little peek at what’s going on around here — both the zany and the mundane.!
- Fermented Pumpkin Spears with Cardamom [Attainable Sustainable]
- Banana Pepper Hot Sauce [Attainable Sustainable]
- Cucumber Squash Fermented Dills [Attainable Sustainable]
- Fermented Carrots [Attainable Sustainable]
- Lacto-Fermented Radishes and Turnips [Attainable Sustainable]
- Purple Sauerkraut [Attainable Sustainable]
- Chipotle Rainbow Carrots [The Cedar Hill Chronicles]
- Cucumber-Squash Dill Fermented Pickles [Attainable Sustainable]
- Fermented Jalapeños [Mommypotamus]
- Lacto-Fermented Dilly Beans [Grow, Forage, Cook, Ferment]
- Spicy Pickled Snap Peas [Attainable Sustainable]
- Fermented Green Tomatoes [Grow, Forage, Cook, Ferment]
- Lacto-Fermented Cauliflower [Attainable Sustainable]
- Spicy Green Beans [Fermentools]
- Lacto-Fermented Onions [Delicious Obsessions]
- Fermented Mushrooms [And Here We Are]
- Beet and Red Cabbage Kraut [Attainable Sustainable]
- Beet and Kohlrabi Sauerkraut [Oh Lardy]
- Zesty Broccoli Stem Pickles [Fermentools]
- Fermented Sweet Potato [Fermentista]
- Kimchi [Attainable Sustainable]
- Heirloom Sauerkraut [Full of Days]
- Lacto-Fermented Zucchini Sticks [Learning and Yearning]
- Giardiniera [Everyday Healthy! Everyday Delicious!]
- Fermented Peppers [Schneiderpeeps]
- Kimchi [Full of Days]
Spread on the fermented food goodness with these easy recipes.
- Poor Man’s Pickled Capers [Attainable Sustainable]
- Fermented Honey with Meyer Lemons [Attainable Sustainable]
- Kosher Dills [Joybilee Farm]
- Fermented Salsa [Tasty Yummies]
- Fermented Chili Paste [Grow, Forage, Cook, Ferment]
- Probiotic Ketchup [Little Owl, Crunchy Momma]
- DIY Tabasco-Style Hot Sauce [Homestead Honey]
- Lacto-Fermented Horseradish [Learning and Yearning]
- Lacto-Mayonnaise [Modern Hippie Housewife]
- Lacto-Fermented Roasted Red Pepper Hummus [Traditional Cooking School]
- Fermented Salsa Verde [Yogi Mami]
Adding fermented foods to your diet — like these recipes for probiotic fruits — is good for your gut!
- Lacto-Fermented Pineapple Salsa [Attainable Sustainable]
- Fermented blueberries [Learning and Yearning]
- Cinnamon Apple Chutney [Raia’s Recipes]
- Fermented cranberries [Grow, Forage, Cook Ferment]
- Lacto-Fermented Pear Butter [Little Owl, Crunch Momma]
- Fermented Orange Rind [Hybrid Rasta Mama]
- Cranberry Chutney [Raia’s Recipes]
- Apple & Daikon Radish Sauerkraut [Pixie’s Pocket]
- Spiced Applesauce [Modern Hippie Housewife]
- Spicy Fermented Pineapple [Oh Lardy]
- Cultured Apricot Fruit Leather [Mommypotamus]
- Rhubarb Salsa [Traditional Cooking School]
- Fermented Peach Chutney [Fearless Eating]
- Spicy Pineapple Salsa [Full of Days]
Drink up with these delicious recipes for making liquid fermented foods.
- Pineapple Water Kefir [Attainable Sustainable]
- How to Make a Gallon of Mead [Grow, Forage, Cook, Ferment]
- Strawberry Mead [Attainable Sustainable]
- Fermented Lemonade [Raising Generation Nourished]
- Kombucha [Fermentools]
- Winter Herb Kvass [Grow, Forage, Cook, Ferment]
- Black Raspberry Kvass [Fearless Eating]
- Carrot Kanji [Veg Recipes of India]
- Homemade Strawberry Soda [Grow, Forage, Cook, Ferment]
- Turmeric Lime Soda [It Takes Time]
- Elderberry Honey Soda [Empowered Sustenance]
- Fermented Plum Brandy [Fresh Bites Daily]
- Beet Kvass [Fermentools]
- Jun Tea [Nourished Kitchen]
- Rosehip Soda [The Prairie Homestead]
Fermented dairy products
Yep, dairy can be fermented, too! Check out these recipes.
- Creme Fraiche [Attainable Sustainable]
- Sour Cream [Attainable Sustainable]
- Milk Kefir [Attainable Sustainable]
- No-Measure Yogurt [Attainable Sustainable]
Originally published in August 2015; this post has been updated.