In case you’ve yet to delve into fermenting, here’s a collection of fermented foods recipes and tips to get you started. You’ll be so glad you did!
New to fermenting foods? Be sure to read this compilation of frequently asked questions before you get started!
We’re hooked on fermented foods.
And we’ve expanded our repertoire: No longer limited to fermenting vegetables, we’ve tried our hands at fermenting fruit, sauces, and seeds, too! The beneficial bacteria in fermented foods is easy to encourage in a wide variety of foods.
- Naturally fermented foods recipes are host to the original probiotic and promote a healthy digestive system.
- It’s a great way to preserve your garden goodness.
- Fermented foods are delicious.
- Getting started is easy. (Matt was right.)
Getting started with fermented foods:
- What are Fermented Foods, Anyway? [Schneiderpeeps]
- Pickling vs. Fermenting [Fermentools]
- Finding a Live Culture [Joybilee Farm]
- Fermenting in Hot Weather [Fermentools]
- Can I Use No Salt? Or Less Salt? [Traditional Cooking School]
- What Foods Can I Ferment? [Fermentools]
- The Benefits of Fermenting Food [The Homestead Garden]
- Long-Term Storage and Care of Ferments [Homestead Honey]
50+ Fermented foods — recipes you should try
The toughest part of fermenting? Taking the first step to try something different. Once you clear that (mental) hurdle, it’s easy. These recipes for fermented foods bring together garden fresh veggies and probiotics for your digestive system.
The Handcrafted Pantry
Ready to DIY your pantry with healthier ingredients? Check out my ebook, The Handcrafted Pantry! Filled with delicious recipes for some of your favorite condiments, snacks, and toppings, it’s the guide you need to start skipping packaged products and embrace homemade.
Vegetables are probably the most well-known of the fermented food recipes. Everybody knows about sauerkraut, right?
5 Easy Steps to Transform Your Pantry!
Ready to switch from store bought to homemade? Let me help you make some changes! Grab my FREE five-part guide to getting started.
- Fermented Pumpkin Spears with Cardamom [Attainable Sustainable]
- Banana Pepper Hot Sauce [Attainable Sustainable]
- Cucumber Squash Fermented Dills [Attainable Sustainable]
- Fermented Carrots [Attainable Sustainable]
- Lacto-Fermented Radishes and Turnips [Attainable Sustainable]
- Purple Sauerkraut [Attainable Sustainable]
- Cucumber-Squash Dill Fermented Pickles [Attainable Sustainable]
- Beet Green Sauerkraut [Attainable Sustainable]
- Fermented Jalapeños [Mommypotamus]
- Lacto-Fermented Dilly Beans [Grow, Forage, Cook, Ferment]
- Spicy Pickled Snap Peas [Attainable Sustainable]
- Fermented Green Tomatoes [Grow, Forage, Cook, Ferment]
- Lacto-Fermented Cauliflower [Attainable Sustainable]
- Spicy Green Beans [Fermentools]
- Lacto-Fermented Onions [Delicious Obsessions]
- Fermented Mushrooms [And Here We Are]
- Beet and Red Cabbage Kraut [Attainable Sustainable]
- Beet and Kohlrabi Sauerkraut [Oh Lardy]
- Fermented Sweet Potato [Fermentista]
- Kimchi [Attainable Sustainable]
- Heirloom Sauerkraut [Full of Days]
- Lacto-Fermented Zucchini Sticks [Learning and Yearning]
- Giardiniera [Everyday Healthy! Everyday Delicious!]
- Kimchi [Full of Days]
Spread on the fermented food goodness with these easy recipes.
- Poor Man’s Pickled Capers [Attainable Sustainable]
- Fermented Honey with Meyer Lemons [Attainable Sustainable]
- Garlic Dill Pickles [Attainable Sustainable]
- Fermented Salsa [Tasty Yummies]
- Fermented Chili Paste [Grow, Forage, Cook, Ferment]
- Probiotic Ketchup [Little Owl, Crunchy Momma]
- DIY Tabasco-Style Hot Sauce [Homestead Honey]
- Lacto-Fermented Horseradish [Learning and Yearning]
- Lacto-Fermented Roasted Red Pepper Hummus [Traditional Cooking School]
- Fermented Salsa Verde [Yogi Mami]
Adding fermented foods to your diet — like these recipes for probiotic fruits — is good for your gut!
- Lacto-Fermented Pineapple Salsa [Attainable Sustainable]
- Fermented blueberries [Learning and Yearning]
- Cinnamon Apple Chutney [Raia’s Recipes]
- Fermented cranberries [Grow, Forage, Cook Ferment]
- Lacto-Fermented Pear Butter [Little Owl, Crunch Momma]
- Fermented Orange Rind [Hybrid Rasta Mama]
- Cranberry Chutney [Raia’s Recipes]
- Apple & Daikon Radish Sauerkraut [Pixie’s Pocket]
- Spicy Fermented Pineapple [Oh Lardy]
- Cultured Apricot Fruit Leather [Mommypotamus]
- Rhubarb Salsa [Traditional Cooking School]
- Fermented Peach Chutney [Fearless Eating]
- Spicy Pineapple Salsa [Full of Days]
Drink up with these delicious recipes for making liquid fermented foods.
- Pineapple Water Kefir [Attainable Sustainable]
- How to Make a Gallon of Mead [Grow, Forage, Cook, Ferment]
- Strawberry Mead [Attainable Sustainable]
- Fermented Lemonade [Raising Generation Nourished]
- Winter Herb Kvass [Grow, Forage, Cook, Ferment]
- Black Raspberry Kvass [Fearless Eating]
- Carrot Kanji [Veg Recipes of India]
- Homemade Strawberry Soda [Grow, Forage, Cook, Ferment]
- Turmeric Lime Soda [It Takes Time]
- Elderberry Honey Soda [Empowered Sustenance]
- Fermented Plum Brandy [Fresh Bites Daily]
- Jun Tea [Nourished Kitchen]
- Rosehip Soda [The Prairie Homestead]
Fermented dairy products
Yep, dairy can be fermented, too! Check out these recipes.
- Creme Fraiche [Attainable Sustainable]
- Sour Cream [Attainable Sustainable]
- Milk Kefir [Attainable Sustainable]
- No-Measure Yogurt [Attainable Sustainable]
Originally published in August 2015; this post has been updated.